Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."

I never knew one could love someone so much that you become both fearless and fearful at the same time. The day I became a mother I was reborn as a new person. So selfless until I almost lose myself.


When you are mother, you become fearless enough to wrestle a lion. You promise to guard your children against every possible thing that could harm them. But at the same time you are also fearful of all the threats the world pose. They will grow up and away from you no matter how much you dread that moment. But you love them anyway, in every way you know and could.


As a mom I like to reflect on my childhood days. What I thought of as a child, what I wanted and expected from my own parents, how I viewed the world. 


I guess when you become a parent yourself you will try to provide what you feel you lacked as a child. Some parents worked really hard to provide a good life for their family because they grew up in hardship. Some parents pushed their children academically because they didn't have much opportunities to enjoy education. Some, like me, try their best to ensure their kids never feel alone.

I don't want my kids to think they come second, ever. Not to my career, not to my phone, not to anything. 


It's hard being a mother, really.
You want to be everything, you want to give anything, you want to do all the things.
You want to lift mountains, you want to hold up the sky, you want to pick the stars.

But you are also a person. A woman of your own.
Not just a source of milk. Not just a cook. Not just a housekeeper.

I have to be constantly reminded; 'Never lose yourself'.

My children don't need a perfect mother. They need a happy one!

And to husbands, a happy wife makes a happy life!



May it please Allah.

Love,
M

No comments: